Monday, July 07, 2008

Sumpah Anak Watan

Yesterday, when I cleaned up the cupboard in my room I come across something that I do not expect to see. A poem. Yes, a poem that I recited during a competition when I was in Standard 6. Such a long time, 12 years... Here is the poem, entitled ‘Sumpah Anak Watan’ by Adi Badiozaman Tuah. [read, what a name!]

Teman,
buat kesekian kalinya,
kita titis air mata darah,
kita hembus nafas panas api.

Bersama bulan bintang,
ke gunung kita,
ke hutan bersama,
kita patah duri beracun,
terlalu lama menusuk daging.

Dan kalian di hutan,
yang ketagih pada kibaran bendera merah,
ayuh! putar haluan,
kembali ke pangkal jalan.

Anak pribumi,
kira berdegil batu hatinya,
buat kesekian kalinya,
kita titis air mata darah,
kita hembus nafas panas api.
kita bakar mereka, dengan api yang mereka nyala sendiri.

Back than, I never know or realize why I like this poem so much. Actually, I still like this poem. For some reason, I can sense some energy in this poem. The spirit to fight for your country. What an interpretation at the age of 12! Maybe, that’s why my minor is literature, for I have had the love and passion towards it since I was in primary.

If I’m not mistaken, I took this poem for a book either “Kelapa Nan Sebatang’ or ‘Keris Laksamana Bentan’. I borrowed it from a friend who sat next to me in class.

Another thing that I found yesterday is my notes for Social Studies during my Foundation Course years. It is a part from a chapter entitled Evaluating and Improving Relationship. Read it in my next post.

No comments: