Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Learning Literature Through Britney's Song

*
I'm sure you will scratch your head when you read the title of this post. Well, actually I was preparing notes for my tuition students. I was thinking about the easiest way to tell them how to differentiate between first person point of view and third person point of view. So, as a hardworking (?) teacher, I browse through my handphone to find some song when I accidently think of Britnry Spears.

Yeah, no offence please. But I DO like Britney, but ONLY her songs.

Take a look at the lyric for Lucky

Early morning, she wakes up
Knock, knock, knock on the door
It's time for makeup, perfect smile
It's you they're all waiting for
They go
"Isn't she lucky, this Hollywood girl?"
And they say

[CHORUS:]She's so lucky, she's a star
But she cry, cry, cries in her lonely heart, thinking
...

The repetition of word she obviously shows that this song is written from third person point of view.

Now, take a look at another song, Born to Make You Happy

I'm sitting here alone up in my room
And thinking about the times
that we've been through (oh my love)
I'm looking at a picture in my hand
Trying my best to understand
I really want to know what we did wrong
With a love that felt so strong...

Again, the repetition of I shows clearly that this song is written from first person point of view.

Hmmm... right now I'm still thinking of ways to explain to my students on how to write a journal. Maybe I'll ask them to read a blog as an example. Ecah, maybe your blog will be the victim. Ehehehe...
*

1 comment:

Aisyah Mazelan said...

britney spears for literature? haha. apa kata guna michael jackson pulak lepas nih. hehe. tapi saya rasa lagu james morrison lagi best.

BTW, kasi diorang baca boleh, jangan spam sudah. lagipun, blog saya ada link blog cegu...

hehe. peace.