Friday, May 15, 2009

Teacher’s Day- What I Feel…

*
Tomorrow will be the Teacher’s Day. Officially, this year’s celebration is my first celebration as a real teacher. However, for the past six years, I’ve celebrated it with my colleagues as we were teacher trainees. It was fun; we wished each other the night before Teacher’s Day and on the day itself. Singing the song “Guru Malaysia” is one of the most enjoyable parts although we have to sing it every week during official assembly.
*
Oh, how I wish that I can turn the time and be with them again during this Teacher’s Day.
*
Now, I’m a real teacher. No longer the trainee, no longer the practicum teacher. I realized that I’ve changed a lot compared to during my practicum months. During practicum, I hardly punish my students as I told myself again and again that I do not have the authority to punish them. You can ask my students at that time, and they will say that I never raise my voice or scold them. Compared to my students at the moment, definitely they will say that I’m a stern teacher. Who just love to punish her students by asking them to sit on the floor and do ‘lompat bintang’. I hate to punish them, but I have to, as I believe that once in a while students need to be punished as a reminder to them, so that they won’t make the same mistakes over and over again.
*
However, they DO NOT learn from their mistakes and keep on doing it over and over again. I have a feeling, that students nowadays are untouchable. Whatever the teachers do, it will be a kind of abuse to them. And I know there are students who keep grumble in their heart and planned to ‘repay’ whatever the teachers did to them.
*
Berita Harian last Tuesday reported;
“Namun, kebelakangan ini, rasa hormat dan sayangkan guru semakin terhakis bukan saja pelajar atau murid sudah tidak begitu hormat kepada mereka, malah ibu bapa juga menunjukkan sikap angkuh dan rendahkan guru, kadang-kadang di hadapan pelajar sendiri.”
*
Read full article here.
*
And I can’t help, but to agree with the writer’s opinions.
*
Sometimes, I just compared my experience as a student those days.
*
We never complained if the teachers gave us a lot of homework. I still remember, my Form Four Bahasa Malaysia teacher asked us to copy good essays. Mind you, for SPM level kind of essay, it is not just one or two pages, instead, at least four pages are needed. I had to use three refill Pilot pens and two long exercise books to copy all essays. And it took almost a week for me to finish it. At the end of it, my fingers were all cramp, yet, I and my friends never complained since I know that everything that she did is for our own good. And that particular teacher is now Guru Kanan Bidang Bahasa at my school.
*
People changes as time pass by. But if time will change students’ attitude, something need to be done…
*

No comments: